Stellenbezeichnung: Nokia NSD PhD Student
Arbeitsort / Location: München, Bayern
Job Beschreibung: Join us in creating the technology that helps the world act together
We are a B2B technology innovation leader pioneering the future where networks meet cloud. At Nokia you will have a positive impact on people’s lives and help build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and accessible world.
Be part of a culture built on an inclusive way of working where we are open to your ideas, you are empowered to take risks and are encouraged to be fearless in bringing your authentic self to work.
The team you’ll be part of
Strategy and Technology lays the path for Nokia’s future technology innovation and identifies the most promising areas for Nokia to create new value. We set the company’s strategy and technology vision, offer an unparalleled research foundation for innovation, and provide critical support infrastructure for Nokia.
Nokia Strategy & Technology, including Nokia Bell Labs and Nokia Standards, is the renowned research arm of Nokia, having invented many of the foundational technologies that underpin information and communications networks and all digital devices and systems. This research has produced nine Nobel Prizes, five Turing Awards and numerous other awards.
The department of Core Network Architecture Research in Nokia Standards, Munich, offers the opportunity for a master graduate to pursue a Ph.D. degree in communication engineering or computer science in collaboration with one of Nokia’s renown partner universities. The thesis work will be conducted in Munich and is expected to be completed within 3 years.
Scope of the Ph.D. thesis
A Network Digital Twin (NDT) is a virtual representation of a real-world communication network, synchronized at a specific frequency and fidelity. The NDT can be used to simulate different scenarios and network behaviors. On one hand, to keep the NDT up to date, the mirrored network elements, functions, the configuration, and the environment of the network must provide updates on short time scale. On the other hand, the NDT-based simulation has to run fast enough to allow for (near) real-time network optimization and alsohas to adjust its parameters to follow the real network’s behavior with the needed accuracy and fidelity. Such a digital twin would allow for interpolation, prediction, sandboxing in (near) real time, upon which rule driven or Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) based network automation functions can be based.
The proposed Ph.D. hence shall study the feasibility and applicability of real-time network digital twins in mobile network automation. Specifically, the Ph.D. includes the following topics:
- Evaluation of real-time large-scale NDT applicability and usability aspects:
- Evaluation of possible abstraction levels and scopes in the network.
- Evaluation of the tradeoff between NDT abstraction and realism.
- Evaluation of benefits of NDTs for network optimization.
- Evaluation of the synchronization of NDTs to real networks and other DTs
- Development of a generic framework with which NDT components are capable of synchronizing to incoming data.
- Efficient time-synchronization between real-world and NDT.
- Optimization of synchronization between different NDTs and DTs.
- NDT architecture development:
- Conceptualization and orchestration of the synchronization between different NDTs and between NDTs and DTs.
- Evaluation of required APIs between NDT and network incl. necessary protocol enhancement
Further, general targets of the Ph.D. work include the protection of the generated Intellectual Property (IP), scientific publications and, where applicable, contributions to standardization.
Your skills and experience
We are looking for highly motivated candidates who are enthusiastic about developing breakthrough innovations and participate in cutting-edge research in Nokia. Applicants should fulfill the following qualifications:
- A diploma or master’s degree in communications engineering, information theory, or computer science with a grade of at least 2.0 (German grade system equivalent),
- Good knowledge in communication networks, as well as concepts and tool chains in machine learning (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow),
- High proficiency in relevant programming languages for simulation (e.g., C++)
- High proficiency in relevant programming languages for prototyping and evaluation (e.g., Python)
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English,
- Ability to work independently and proactively define research targets and methodology,
- Ready to collaborate in a diverse team with members of different cultural backgrounds,
- Willingness and ability to get engaged in novel disruptive research areas, which will require the applicant to learn new skills.
What we offer
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.