Stellenbezeichnung: Two PhD Students in the Ethics of AI (m/f/x)
Firma: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Arbeitsort / Location: München, Bayern
Job Beschreibung: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München is a leading research university in Europe. Since its founding in 1472 it has been committed to the highest international standards of excellence in research and teaching.
Institution Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and the Study of Religion – Professorship of Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
Remuneration group TV-L E13
Full-time / Part-time Full-time (100%)
Start date 2024-01-01; limited until 2026-08-31
Application deadline 2023-10-31
The junior research group of Dr. Benjamin Lange, based at the Professorship of Ethics of Artificial Intelligence (Prof. Dr. Sven Nyholm) conducts ambitious and internationally respected basic research in the field of ethics in AI. We are an interdisciplinary, collaborative, dynamic team and, in collaborative exchange with researchers from neighbouring fields, we are dedicated to the topic of AI in society, and how AI changes our human existence.
We are looking for you:
Two PhD Students in the Ethics of AI (m/f/x)
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Research in the area of AI ethics, responsible AI governance, or the moral and political foundations of AI.
- Pursuing your own scientific qualification
- Publication of research results in the form of peer-reviewed articles at relevant conferences and in professional journals
- Participation in the teaching activities of the department
- Supervision of Master’s and Bachelor’s students
- Supporting lectures, seminars and practical courses
- Participation in other scientific tasks of the department
- Organisation of and participation in workshops
- Cooperation with the Munich Center for Machine Learning
- University degree (M.Sc./M.A, diploma, state examination) with very good grades in philosophy, law, computer science, sociology or other fields relevant to the ethics of AI
- Strong interest in the field of AI ethics (and ideally in the area of the desired topic)
- A high level of motivation and personal responsibility
- A conscientious, cooperative way of working as well as excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- A high degree of team spirit
- Business fluent in English and ideally in German
- Passion and enthusiasm for what you do
You will work at the Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and Religious Studies at LMU Munich in the centre of a leading humanities and AI research regions in Germany and Europe. You will have access to an excellent network of researchers. With the national AI competence centre Munich Center for Machine Learning, the Munich region has a network of top researchers that is unique in Germany.
Research stays abroad, for example with existing cooperation partners such as the University of Oxford, Utrecht and other technical universities in the Netherlands, conference and workshop participation, and publication of research results in journals are actively supported. Joint doctoral supervision of the project is possible. Working equipment (laptop, external monitor, etc.) will be provided.
Your workplace is centrally located at the Professorship of AI Ethics at the English Garden in Munich and is very easy to reach by public transport. Remuneration is according to TV-L E13 German tariff. The position is limited 2026-08-31, with the option of extension.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Also possible in a part-time capacity. People with disabilities who are equally as qualified as other applicants will receive preferential treatment.
We look forward to receiving your application. Enquiries in advance can be directed by and to Dr. Benjamin Lange. To apply, please send the following documents in a PDF (reference: AIEJRGLMU) to by 2023-10-31.
- A cover letter stating research interests, motivation for the position, expectations and plans
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of your academic and examination marks in your Master’s programme (transcript of records).
- A philosophical essay of maximum 6,000 words (e.g. a term paper or a chapter of the Master’s thesis)
- Project outline for the proposed doctoral project (maximum 1,000 words).
Where knowledge is everything.
LMU researchers work at the highest level on the great questions affecting people, society, culture, the environment and technology – supported by experts in administration, IT and tech.
Bewerbung:Auf diesen Job bewerben.
Oder lassen Sie sich von Arbeitgebern finden.
Hier Lebenslauf als Gesuch eintragen!