Stellenbezeichnung: Masterthesis 3D Object Detection for Autonomous Driving (f/m/d)
Arbeitsort / Location: München, Bayern
Job Beschreibung: ARE YOU READY FOR THE 4TH REVOLUTION?
SHARE YOUR PASSION.
Digitalisation, robotics, artificial intelligence – not science fiction but our daily business. Everything seems impossible until it has been done. World-leading technologies don’t make it into a BMW until they’ve undergone one of the most challenging journeys imaginable. It takes dynamic teams with outstanding technical skills to take them from the drawing board to the road. That’s why our experts will treat you as part of the team from day one, encourage you to bring your own ideas to the table – and give you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
We, the BMW Group, offer you an interesting and varied Masterthesis in the area of low-level perception for autonomous driving.
3D object detection is a crucial component in autonomous driving, as it enables the vehicle to perceive its surroundings and respond to hazards in real-time. Through the fusion of multimodal sensor inputs, modern object detection models can accurately localize objects in 3D space up to high distances and remain resilient to adverse weather and light conditions. However, the computational cost of many contemporary neural network architectures presents a challenge for deployment in autonomous vehicles. Hence, knowledge distillation techniques can offer a promising approach to obtain smaller neural networks which are deployable on target hardware, leveraging both state-of-the-art performance and low-latency results.
What awaits you?
- Research on state-of-the-art methods in literature on 3D object detection in autonomous driving scenarios.
- Benchmarking of 3D object detection models on publicly available research datasets as well as on a large-scale, multimodal dataset curated by BMW.
- Selection of a suitable neural network architecture that leverages multiple sensor inputs.
- Knowledge distillation of a state-of-the-art method into a deployable model delivering low-latency outputs.
- Chance to deploy the final model on a specialized SoC for in-vehicle tests.
- Working in an experienced team of software developers and machine learning engineers at the Autonomous Driving Campus in Unterschleißheim.
Please note that you must ensure that the thesis is supervised by a university.
What should you bring along?
- You are a master student approaching the end of your degree in computer science or related fields with focus on machine learning or artificial intelligence.
- You have strong knowledge of computer vision concepts and convolutional neural networks.
- You have experience working with multimodal sensor data.
- You have very good programming skills in Python, TensorFlow and worked with modern programming environment tools such as Docker and Git.
- You are motivated to solve problems independently as well as sharing ideas and working in a team.
What do we offer?
- Comprehensive mentoring & onboarding.
- Personal & professional development.
- Work-Life-Balance & flexible working hours.
- Digital offers & mobile working.
- Attractive remuneration.
- Apartment offers for employees (only Munich).
- And many other benefits – see
You are enthused by new technologies and an innovative environment? Apply now!
At the BMW Group, we see diversity and inclusion in all its dimensions as a strength for our teams. Equal opportunities are a particular concern for us, and the equal treatment of applicants and employees is a fundamental principle of our corporate policy. That is why our recruiting decisions are also based on personality, experience and skills.
Find out more about diversity at the BMW Group at
Earliest starting date: 11/20/2023
Duration: 6 months
Working hours: Full-time